Congratulations to our October Client of the Month in Somerville: Rachel Romeo!
- What is your hometown? The music capitol of the world, aka Nashville!
- What brought you to DPT? I *never* exercised growing up. I had picked up running as an adult to get in shape, but I had never done strength training — I was afraid it would make me too “bulky.” So when my wife joined for a 6-week challenge, she encouraged me to give it a try to supplement my cardio. And then I got addicted to lifting heavy things!
- How long have you been training with us? About 2.5 years
- What do you do in the “real world?” (job, family, pets, etc) I’m a neuroscientist at MIT & Boston Children’s Hospital, where I study brain development (aka I bribe children to go in brain scanners). I live with my wife (and better half) Jess and our two furball cats about 3 blocks from the gym in East Somerville. I love running and eating…mostly eating though.
- What is one fun fact that most people don’t know about you? I was on my college curling team! (yes, the ice sport where you throw things and sweep quickly) I wasn’t very good.
- What is your favorite exercise and why? Probably handstand push-ups, because they look so bad ass.
- What is your biggest gym achievement so far? Working my way up to unassisted pull ups! This haunted me from my elementary school gym days (remember the President’s fitness challenge, anyone??) and I didn’t think I could ever do them, but after months and months of slow steady practice I can now do full sets unassisted!
- What inspires and motivates you? Just being better than yesterday. I’ll never be the strongest, fastest, most-fit, or whatever. But I can be better than yesterday, and that’s what matters.
- What would you say to someone who is thinking about joining or who has just joined DPT? If you came to the DPT to lose weight, that’s awesome (and you probably definitely will!). But don’t let the number be your only marker of success — this is about increasing fitness, crafting a healthy lifestyle, and seeing what your incredible body is capable of!