7 Ways to Lose Belly Fat
Not so fast…I’m not going to talk about the mythical idea of “spot reduction” here. That’s right folks, it DOES NOT exist. You can’t pick and choose where to lose fat. Even though most people understand that concept, everyone still wants their midsections to look great, right?
If you follow these 7 rules, you will lose belly fat, simply because your entire body will be burning fat at all times.
1. Strength Training- the BEST way to change your body composition and boost your metabolism so that your body is a fat burning machine.
2. Interval conditioning- skip the boring, slow cardio and rev up your metabolism and fat burning capabilities with interval work such as sprints or jumping rope. This type of training creates a metabolic effect that will allow you burn calories at the workout rate for up to 36 hours post workout.
3. Eat breakfast. Skipping breakfast slows the metabolic process down and you will not burn calories at rest as quickly as you should. It can also lead to over eating later in the day. Have a combination of complex carbs and protein and you will feel energized and full.
4. Drink plenty of water. Figure out your body weight(pounds) and drink 1/2 of that in ounces. Staying hydrated keeps your metabolism going and also helps prevent fluid retention.
5. Perform multi-joint movements when strength training. Squats, lunges, pull ups, push ups, and Kettlebell movements are the best for fat loss. You will rev up your metabolism, develop lean and toned muscles, and burn a ton of calories both during and after the training session. Avoid machines and isolated movements if you want to kick that extra belly fat (especially around the middle).
6. Don’t obsess over the scale. Weigh yourself once a week if you have to. Otherwise, just stay away. Focus on your physique, how your clothes feel, and your body composition. Get your body fat percentage tested every 6 weeks if possible. This will ensure that you are losing the right kind of weight. The scale cannot tell the difference.
7. Eat every 3-4 hours. If you starve yourself and restrict calories, your body automatically slows down and you will not efficiently burn fat. Fuel the fire (your metabolism) every several hours with quality foods such as fruits, veggies, lean protein, low fat dairy, and healthy fats including nuts and avocados.
Losing body fat (in most cases, belly fat) is a complete process. You must strength train, eat properly and at the right times, perform high intensity interval conditioning, and drink plenty of water. If any of these pieces of the puzzle are lacking, you progress will suffer.
You cannot lose fat in just one spot, but for many women the excess fat lies around the middle of the body. If your body becomes efficient at burning calories while you are NOT working out, you will see drastic changes in your overall composition. Follow these 7 tips and remember that it’s a long term process, not a quick fix. Anyone can lose a few pounds in a week, but to create an efficient fat burning body, you must get in the trenches and do the work.