A fitness post by Cambridge boot camp owner Callie Durbrow
Why You’re Still Fat (and some answers)
Okay, I think I have your attention now right?
I know I’m not usually harsh or insulting in this forum and I don’t mean to be but I want to call attention to something and that is the majority of people are fat. You may be included in this statement.
What the hell are you going to do about it?
Maybe you don’t think you’re fat, maybe you’re in denial and you just think they’re making clothes smaller now.
Maybe right now I’m not talking about being morbidly obese and on the verge of a life-threatening illness, but you might still be fat.
You might be 10, 15, 20 pounds over-fat (notice I didn’t say overweight). You still need to make a change here.
What about that little bit of fat around your arms? Your legs are kinda getting bigger?
You think it must be the weight training. It’s making you bulky.
You know what’s making you bulky? The fat that you’re gaining some muscle but you’re NOT losing fat. So when you arms look bulky like that, you know what that is? It’s muscle with a nice layer of fat around it.
Yep, it’s true, muscle DOES NOT turn into fat or vice-versa. You have to lose fat and develop muscle. They are two separate tissues and it is 100% possible to have both.
You know why you have both?
Because you may be working out, but you’re still trying to out-train a bad diet. You’re not losing fat fast enough and you’re not eating to support your ever-changing metabolism.
So here’s the deal. You’re carrying the fat around. What the hell do you do about it?
You hear me talk all the time about nutrition, dial it in, start eating healthy, blah blah blah…..what does that even mean?
Here’s what you MUST do if you want to avoid being fat.
1. Drink water. If your body is even 1% dehydrated it takes away from it’s fat burning efficiency. Drink 1/2 your body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water each day. So if you weigh 140 lbs you drink 70 ounces of water each day.
2. Do not overload your meals. Your body can only process, digest and use so many calories at once. If you’re having 3 meals at 600 calories a pop you might be thinking, okay that’s only 1800 calories so I can probably still drop some fat with that going on. NOPE. Your body is working on overload to process all of those nutrients and if I have to guess there’s probably a lot of sugar involved in there. A lot of this is not going to be processed and used and instead stored as fat. How do you get around this? Instead of 3 meals at 600 a pop, try for 5-6 meals/snacks and divide those 1800 calories up that way.
3. Work out hard. I’m talking seriously bust your ass hard. Don’t say you’re working out hard because I know you’re not. I don’t mean kill yourself and get injured but you MUST be intense. If not, it’s all a waste because not only are we going for a nice calorie burn DURING the workout, we also want to focus on what happens after the workout. This is the important stuff because this is the long-term change we want. See, your body burns a certain amount of calories during a workout and as it’s recovering and still working after the fact, your metabolism (ability to burn calories) has been elevated. In a successful strength and interval workout you can elevate your metabolism to that level and have it stay there for up to 36 hours. This is pretty cool because by the time that runs out, you’re basically on-to your next intense workout. Do this 3-4 times per week and eventually your metabolism IS at that level.
4. Don’t make excuses. First reason for this is that no one cares. Everyone has their own crap so just shut up and do your thing. There will never be a perfect day for a workout. It will be raining, you will be tired, you will have a tough day at work. It doesn’t matter. If you keep using all of these excuses and then some, you will still be fat. I’m sorry, it’s true.
5. If you are nervous or scared about working out, that’s okay. Most people are terrified on their first day into our program. But here’s the thing, getting there is the first step. I know that sounds cliche, but even for those of us who have been working out for a long time, just getting into the gym is huge. Because once you’re there, all you have to do is get it done. There’s no more talking yourself up to actually get there or why you should go tomorrow instead. We have people of all levels in our programs, seriously. If you want to find out why this program WILL work for you then just click here (take the first step).
So there’s 5 things you can start doing right away. No B.S., no theories, no special diets. Just get down to business and get rid of that fat.
I know I mentioned in the title that I have 5 things I’m really excited about so after all that serious crap let’s talk about some fun stuff. The summer is almost coming to an end but that’s cool with me, I love the fall. The only thing I’m bummed about is that Prowler season is getting shorter. We’ll be out there in the dark though, shooting sparks off the back of the Prowler. Good times. Anyway, 5 things I’m pumped about coming up….
1. I just got a Kindle. I always take a little longer than most to warm up to technology. But after a few weeks of wondering “should I get it?” I finally did. I did the same thing with my smartphone, my iPod touch, my mac laptop and I love them all. I’m just a little resistant. So far the Kindle is the bomb and I can’t wait to take it on my next trip to a conference in Indianapolis.
2. One of my best friends is getting married in September. Karen and I have been friends for 16 years. Yep, since I was 5….just kidding. We go way back to playing basketball together in high school and I have just realized lately how rare it is to keep friends from that far back in your life. My 3 best high school friends are still my 3 best friends and I’m so happy about that. I can’t wait to celebrate her wedding in a few weeks.
3. Red Sox and Yankees game. This will be my first game of the season and there’s nothing better than late August, Sox vs. Yanks when it actually means something.
4. The fall. I am a Vermont girl and I love the fall but you crazy people down here in Boston don’t know what fall is. There are no leaves, no crisp walks through the grass, no pumpkins on the front steps. I guess it’s kinda nice here but it’s no Vermont so I’ll take my annual fall trip up north and enjoy some pumpkin spice coffee while I dodge the slow-ass drivers checking out the leaves 🙂
5. My best friend and her little miracle baby, Liam. My best friend Sarah (many of you know her) was all set for a September baby. Well, Liam had other plans and he wanted to be a June baby. So, 3 months early 2.5 pounds at birth Liam had lots of work ahead of him. As I write this he is 4 pounds and 12 ounces (probably more by the time you read this) and is looking truly amazing. I got to see him the other day out of his isolette and even got to kiss his little forehead. He has fought through dozens of complications and is set to come home in just a few short weeks. It really makes you think about what’s important in life.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this blog post, so hook up a comment below.
3 thoughts on “Why You’re Still Fat, What to do About It, and 5 Things I’m Excited About”
Best post ever
Pingback: How to Get Faster Training Results – Cambridge Personal Training- Best Cambridge Personal Trainer- Cambridge Fitness-Boot Camps